For many chronic migraine sufferers, particularly where migraines are inherited and experienced by many family members, migraines and headaches are simply “a fact of life”.
Something to be put up with.
If you do regularly get migraines and headaches, you might have not stopped to consider the impact they can have on every area of your life.
The Migraine Disability Assessment Test
The MIDAS (Migraine Disability Assessment) is used by healthcare to help measure the impact of headache on your life, and find the best treatment for you.
Please answer the following questions about ALL of the headaches you have had over the last 3 months.
Select your answer in the box next to each question. Select zero if you did not have the activity in the last 3 months.
You can take the completed form to your healthcare professional.
1. On how many days in the last 3 months did you miss work or school because of your headaches? ___________
2. How many days in the last 3 months was your productivity at work or school reduced by half or more because of your headaches? (Do not include days you counted in question 1 where you missed work or school.) ___________
3. On how many days in the last 3 months did you not do household work (such as housework, home repairs and maintenance, shopping, caring for children and relatives) because of your headaches? ___________
4. How many days in the last 3 months was your productivity in household work reduced by half of more because of your headaches? (Do not include days you counted in question 3 where you did not do household work.) ___________
5. On how many days in the last 3 months did you miss family, social or leisure activities because of your headaches? ___________
Scoring: After you have filled out this questionnaire, add the total number of days from questions 1-5. Total _______________ (Questions 1-5)
MIDAS Grade Definition MIDAS Score
• Little or No Disability 0-5
• Mild Disability 6-10
• Moderate Disability 11-20
• Severe Disability 21+
If Your MIDAS Score is 6 or more, please discuss this with your practitioner.
What your healthcare practitioner will also need to know about your headache:
A. On how many days in the last 3 months did you have a headache? (If a headache lasted more than 1 day, count each day.)
B. On a scale of 0 - 10, on average how painful were these headaches? (where 0=no pain at all, and 10= pain as bad as it can be.)
You can also download the questionnaire as a PDF here.